Thursday, May 26, 2011

Pets find toxins in many forms

By Linda Breazeale
MSU Ag Communications
MISSISSIPPI STATE -- Pets are notorious for chewing things, so caregivers need to be aware of some of the common toxins that do not come with warning signs.
Dr. Patty Lathan is an assistant professor of small animal internal medicine at Mississippi State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine. Unfortunately, she may be the first person to tell pet owners about the toxic properties of common household products, plants and even foods.
“Pet owners rarely anticipate their animal chewing on a plant or getting into an Easter basket, but it may only take one time to cause irreversible damage,” she said. “Some people may think if it’s OK for humans, it’s OK for animals, but that is not true for chocolate, raisins, grapes and some over-the-counter medications.”  Read more....